Deadline: 15 Dec 2022/15 Jan 2023 (annual)
Study in: USA
The course starts August 2023
The American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is open to academically talented students from outside the United States who have their sights set on earning a bachelor’s degree in the United States and who are committed to promoting constructive civic and social change. It is designed for students who plan to enhance under-resourced and underprivileged communities in their native country after they have completed their studies abroad and returned home.
American University, Washington DC, USA
Level/Field(s) of study:
Any undergraduate study offered at the University
Number of Scholarships:
One (1) scholarship is available
International students from any country who are not citizens of the United States, permanent residents of the United States, or dual citizens of the United States and another country are eligible to apply for the scholarships.
All expenses that are billable to AU are covered by the AU EGL scholarship. The scholarship does not pay for non-billable expenses like mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, or other miscellaneous costs (approximately $4,000 in total).
It can be renewed for up to four years of undergraduate study, provided that the recipient maintains satisfactory academic performance throughout that time.
Preference will be given to:
- Students from other countries who have overcome a variety of challenges and obstacles, as well as students whose socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds are unique and underrepresented in the global community are encouraged to apply.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.8 (or placement in the top 10% of the graduating class) across grades 9-12.
- A track record that demonstrates a dedication to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and working to improve the lives of people in their own nation.
- Students who fall under one of the following categories: 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above); sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017); 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above); 33 minimum SAT Reading Subscore; 29 minimum ACT English; 65 minimum PTE; 120+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 110 or above); or Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. These Every component score needs to be at least 169.
- Students who will have completed their secondary or high school education by the time June 2023 rolls around
- It is imperative that students who are enrolled in the IB program make it a goal to graduate with a full IB diploma that includes at least three higher-level subjects. Students who are enrolled in the British A-Level system are required to earn at least three A levels and the equivalent of 13 years of schooling by the end of August 2023.
You are NOT eligible to apply if:
- – You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- – You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- – You graduated from secondary school earlier than 2021.
You must apply and finish the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship application, the Common or Coalition Application, and the international admissions process by 15 December 2021 (the priority deadline), or by 15 January 2023 at the very latest, in order to be considered for the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship. Applicants to the AU EGLS program are required to submit their applications via the Regular Decision process by August 2023. Do not submit an Early Decision application (ED).
It is imperative that you go to the official website (link can be found below) in order to have access to the application form and obtain specific information regarding how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.american.edu/admissions/international/egls.cfm
Disclaimer: This page is NOT the official one for the scholarship. This is merely a condensed listing of the scholarship that only takes up one page. Although we make every effort to ensure the accuracy and currency of the provided information, said material is subject to change at any moment and without prior notice. Always refer to the official website of the organization that is providing the scholarship if you want information that has been updated and is complete. You do so entirely at your own risk if you put any stock in the information provided on thejobmedia.com. For further information, kindly read over our Terms of Service.