Public Health Specialist (TB / HIV)
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 3 – 5 years
- Location: Abuja
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date:Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: 25% or less
- Travel Required: Incumbent visits DOD project site to keep abreast of care and support aspects of HIV/TB programs, with particular emphasis on TB and HIV treatment.
READ MORE:STEP TO STEP ON HOW TO COME TO THE UK THROUGH STUDY ROUTE
- The incumbent is a senior advisor and provides technical expertise for the management of the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) TB/HIV program for the U.S. Army Medical Research Directorate-Africa/Nigeria (USAMRD-A/N) under the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR).
- The TB/HIV specialist will provide technical and program expertise to the HIV/TB Team and the Care and Treatment Work Group to ensure implementation and scale-up of the TB and HIV/TB interventions.
- S/he will also interact with the Nigerian Ministry of Defence (NMOD) and the implementing partner (IP), the Henry M. Jackson Foundation (HJF), to manage day-to-day TB and HIV treatment-related activities, monitoring and evaluating progress, and providing technical advice to relevant stakeholders.
- S/he coordinates and monitors TB/HIV activities in order to facilitate the implementation of the USAMRD-A/N strategy through site visits, reporting, and trends analysis, and works in close collaboration with others to ensure quality treatment activities.
- S/he ensures high-quality TB/HIV services are being provided in accordance with national and international standards, across PEPFAR sites.
- S/he works with the USG TB/HIV team to strengthen PEPFAR’s strategic and programmatic directions.
- S/he keeps abreast of current publications and information on TB/HIV programs, issues, and concerns, and their impact on programming in developing countries, in order to advise the USAMRD-A/N and PEPFAR leadership on all issues related to the TB/HIV program/project activities.
- The job holder is expected to work at secondary locations for about 25% of the time.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- A professional Degree in Medicine, (MBBS or equivalent, or MD) and a masters Degree in Public Health – MPH or a Fellowship in Public Health or Internal Medicine from the Nigerian National Postgraduate Medical College or the West African College of Physicians is required.
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience working in areas related to TB and HIV prevention, care, and support is required.
- Three (3) years of this experience must be in the diagnosis and care of TB and HIV+ persons, and /or in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of TB or HIV treatment programs for other donor organizations. Experience related to the delivery of TB and HIV treatment and mitigation programs, and experience working or collaborating with other donors, governments, international organizations, etc. is required..
- Knowledge of the major issues affecting people with or affected by TB and HIV/AIDS in all geographic regions in Nigeria is required, including technical, social and cultural aspects. State-of-the art, specialized knowledge of the public health aspects of managing TB and HIV Treatment programs, and evidence-based treatment practices and policies are required. A demonstrated knowledge of the concepts, principles, techniques, and practices of GoN policies and programs in the sector is required.
- A thorough knowledge of the Nigerian economic, political, social, and cultural characteristics, and the history of development assistance, in particular as related to health in Nigeria, including current trends and directions, is required.
- Job holder must have an excellent understanding of the public health system in Nigeria and a good working knowledge of U.S Government public health programs and strategies, especially those related to PEPFAR. Demonstrated knowledge of the concepts, principles, techniques, and practices of GoN policies and programs in the sector is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluency reading/speaking/writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to work effectively with mid and senior level public and private sector officials from the GoN and IPs.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment, and coordinate well with others.
- The work requires excellent writing and computer skills, in order to develop presentations, reports, etc. Diplomacy, tact, cultural sensitivity, and teamwork are required in order to establish and maintain effective working relationships within USAMRD-A/N and with the Nigerian Military.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and stay organized in a complex, frequently changing environment is a requirement.
- Demonstrated advanced analytical skills and problem solving, as well as the ability to effectively manage stress and conflict is required.
- Keyboard / typing skills is required, with working speed & accuracy. Ability to travel within Nigeria up to 25% of time is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Salary: USD 60,061 (N15,890,203)
Method of Application
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate or Exception document
- Certificate or License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
Next Steps and Notice
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
Interested and qualified? Go to US Embassy on erajobs.state.gov to apply.
RECOMMENDED POSTS: MIGRATE TO CANADA WITH THESE TOP JOBS AND HOW TO APPLY
JOB AS A FOREIGN WORKER PROGRAM COORDINATOR
File processor -LMIA applications- job post Can-X Immigration Surrey BC
FULL TIME JOB AT SUBWAY SANDWICH ARTIST
Leave a Comment