Training Consultant – Fire Safety and Disaster Risk Reduction in Site and Settlement
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Location: Lagos
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
Service and Statement of Work
- In accordance with the terms of the Contract, the Contractor agrees to perform the following services in the following manner.
- The Goal of the program, Addressing Diverse and Acute Primary Threats (ADAPT II) to Human Security in Northeastern Nigeria, is to save lives and prevent human suffering among displaced, returnee and host households in Borno State. The Goal aligns with BHA’s overarching mission statement to “save lives, alleviate human suffering, and reduce the physical, social, and economic impact of rapid and slow-onset disasters”. The scope of the program is also in alignment with the three strategic objectives of the 2019 – 2021 Humanitarian Response strategy for Nigeria, which are:
- Save lives by providing timely and integrated multi-sector assistance and protection interventions to the most vulnerable.
- Enhanced timely, unhindered, and equitable access to multi-sector assistance and protection interventions through principled humanitarian action.
- Strengthen the resilience of the affected population, promote early recovery and voluntary and safe durable solutions to displacement and support social cohesion.
- Under the ADAPT II Shelter program, Mercy Corps will propose a range of shelter solutions to meet the various needs of newly displaced persons at reception centers and/or at transition sites, existing IDPs in over-congested camps and the IDPs living with host communities, returnees, and host families. Across six intervention types, 2,340 HHs in total will benefit.
- Fire outbreak in an informal settlement can affect thousands of people. Fires take lives, cause serious injuries, destroy property, and have long term impacts on livelihoods.
- Recovery is a long and difficult process, which can be exacerbated in informal settlements where financial instability, insecure tenure and a lack of insurance are common.
- But this global fire problem remains largely neglected. Fire events in informal settlements are rarely reported in international media, even when they amount to major community-wide disasters. Moreover, there are too few investments in fire risk reduction for informal settlements globally.
- Limited resources and a myriad of competing needs and risks inhibit communities’ ability to improve fire safety. Where resources are devoted to fire safety, investments are seldom informed by a holistic consideration of fire risk and potential risk reduction options.
- Local fire safety lessons learned, and success stories are also rarely shared between settlements, let alone across borders. It is time to empower communities with fire safety knowledge, resources, and support so that they can become resilient to fire.
- This framework is an initial step towards facilitating this movement.
- To facilitate the proper implementation of Mercy Corps’ Shelter and Settlements Team responses in Camps and Settlements under ADAPT II, the consultant will organize 7 training of trainers (ToTs) sessions on Fire Safety and Disaster Risk Reduction in Camps and Settlements. The sessions will be organized in Maiduguri, Ngala, Dikawa, Damboa, Gwoza, Monguno and Bama.
The Consultant/s will.
- Conduct assessment on the scale of fire incidences (Frequency, scale, causes and season) across target locations. Come up with two indicators to measure the impact of the ToTs.
- Write a comprehensive report on the above assessment with clear indicators and outcome to measure the impact of the ToTs in camps.
- Train Mercy Corps & Sector partners’ 20 team members, 20 volunteer trainers form each deep field location (20 x 7) and facilitate 1 step down on the job session in each LGA (6) to guide the graduated trainers.
- Developing and testing basic Training Manual and IEC materials on the subject for the trainers in English, Hausa, and Kanuri
- Develop manual/Training guide
- Printing of manual/training guide
- Report writing.
The training will be focused on Fire Safety and Disaster Risk Reduction in site and Settlements, to enable the trainees to.
- Roll out full length Fire Safety & DRR in site and settlements
- Design a fire evacuation route for their settlement
- Establish a self-help mechanism to prevent / fight the fire incidents
- Analyses potential disaster risks and hazards in their settlements
- Map the available resources and planning to establish the coping / resistance / fighting mechanism within their settings
- Sensitize the neighbourhood to proactively plan and roll-out a self-help mechanism ahead of the rainy/storm/flooding seasons to minimize the damage and loss of resources and lives.
The Consultant will report to:
- Program Coordinator, Shelter, and Settlements.
The Consultant will work closely with:
- Shelter Program Coordinator and Senior Shelter Program Officer -ADAPT.
Deliverables and Timeframe:
|Training Manual & IEC Material||15th July 2022|
|ToTs & Step-Down Sessions (7 + 7)||31st October 2022|
Total Level of Effort: 73 days
|No:||Deliverable Description||Unit||Quantity||Unit price
|Total Contract Price (NGN)|
|1||Assessment of Fire Incidences and Report||Day||12|
|2||Development of training curriculum||Day||12|
|3||Development of IEC posters and banner||Day||8|
|4||Training of trainers||Day||12|
|5||Step down trainings||Day||12|
|7||Printing of training curriculum||Per copy||120|
|8||Printing of training manual (full color & hard cover paperback)||Per copy||130|
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in any field of study
- Previous experience in organizing / facilitating Training of Trainers (ToTs) on fire safety and disaster reduction
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Northeast like Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Gwoza, Damboa and Monguno
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required,
- Ability to work independently and respond to feedback in a timely and professional manner,
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Familiarity with the overall policy and strategic context of the Northeast Nigeria
- Good facilitation skills for internal and external consultations.
- Strong analytical and good inter-personal communication skills; experience in participatory processes.
- Professional command of English, both oral and written, good report writing skills.
Interested individual Consultant should send the following:
- Educational Qualifications
- Experience implementing similar assignment in the past (attach contracts and reports)
- Quotation / financial offer.
- The Consultant MUSTbe based within Borno State as Mercy Corp will not be responsible for providing airfare or any means of transportation and accommodation in Maiduguri. Mercy Corps will only cover the cost of accommodation, transportation in deep field locations, provision of venue for training, training stationeries,
Method of Application
Interested and qualified individual consultant should send their bid submission to: [email protected] using the Title as the subject of the mail.
RECOMMENDED POSTS:MIGRATE TO CANADA WITH THESE TOP JOBS AND HOW TO APPLY