CANADA WORK PERMIT VISA
Canada Work Permit, or a Work Visa, is issued to eligible overseas individuals to work in that country for a specific time period.
People need to apply for a Work Visa only after getting a job offer or an employment contract from a Canadian employer. The employer must obtain from ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada) an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment), which gives them permission to recruit foreign skilled workers for occupations that cannot be filled in by citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
As one of the world’s leading economies Canada is a great destination for individuals seeking to work abroad. The Canadian Work Permit Visa allows business people, permanent workers, temporary workers, students and others to work in Canada. Typically, applicants need to have a job offer in hand in order to apply for the work permit visa. With our end-to-end overseas career solutions, Y-Axis can help you find a job and apply for a Canadian Work Permit Visa.
CANADA WORK PERMIT VISA DETAILS:
Every year more than 300,000 individuals are granted permits to work in Canada. This is a huge opportunity for foreign workers seeking to make a better life. Under the Canada Work Permit Visa you can:
- Work in Canada under the employer you have mentioned in your work permit application
- Have the ability to apply for Dependent Visas to call your dependents
- Earn in dollars
- Travel across Canada
- Apply for a PR visa at a later date
ELIGIBILITY FOR CANADA WORK PERMIT VISA:
Applicants need to show proof that they are eligible to take up the job offer. To apply for a Canada Work Permit from India, you need to meet certain requirements. Documents need to be submitted in either English.
The Canada Work Permit Visa is ideal for temporary workers, foreign graduates from Canadian universities, businessmen and others who need to work in Canada.
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Give proof to an officer that you will move out of Canada on the expiry of your Work Permit
- Have documents showing that you have enough funds to support yourself and your family during your stay in Canada
- Have no record of any criminal activity and submit a police clearance certificate as proof
- Are not a danger to Canada’s security
- Must have good health and take a medical exam if required
- Have no plans to work for an employer listed as ineligible by the government because they failed to comply with certain conditions
- Have no plans to work for an employer who offers erotic dance, escort services, striptease, or erotic massages
- Must be ready to provide any documents demanded by officers to qualify your entry to Canada
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR CANADA WORK PERMIT VISA
- A valid passport with a validity of more than 6 months from the planned date of arrival in Canada.
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- Educational qualification certificates
- Proof of professional qualifications, including work experience
- Proof of having adequate financial resources to cover their expenses during their stay in Canada
- Medical examination required to be done from registered hospitals.
- Application fee
Applicants should also be able to convince immigration officials that they would return to their home country after the end of their employment.
Different types of work permits:
There are two types of work permits given by Canadian authorities- open work permit and an employer-specific work permit. An open work permit basically allows you to work for any employer. This visa is not job-specific, so applicants do not require the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or an offer letter from an employer who has paid the compliance fee.
With an open work permit you can work for any employer in Canada except for those companies that do not comply with labor requirements or are involved in services like escort services, erotic massage or exotic dancing.
The employer-specific work permit as the name suggests is a permit that allows you to work for a specific employer.
While the employer-specific work permit pertains to a single employer, the open work permit can come with certain conditions which will be written on it. These include:
- Type of work
- Places where you can work
- Duration of work
Holders of the following visas can apply for an Open Work Permit:
- Temporary Work Permits for spouses
- Post-Graduation Work Permit
- Temporary Resident Permit
- World Youth Program Permit
- Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program Spousal Permit
- Regular Open Work Permit
- Bridging Open Work Permit
Conditions for the open work permit:
- Proof of financial resources that can support yours and your family’s stay in Canada during the work permit validity
- Proof that you have no history of a criminal record
- Proof that you are in good health
- Willingness to adhere to the conditions of your work permit even if you are given a restricted work permit
- Meet eligibility conditions such as language skills, biometric data, and insurance
DEPENDENT WORK VISA
The government of Canada allows immigration for family members under the dependent work permit category.
Bringing dependents on a work permit
You may be entitled to have your spouse and children join you in Canada if you obtain a job offer from a Canadian employer and have an open work permit.
Your children will be eligible to attend Canadian educational institutions without having to get separate study permits. Your spouse will also be able to apply for an open work permit so that they can work in Canada.
WHO CAN BE INCLUDED ON A DEPENDENT VISA?
Some members of a family such as a spouse or children can be included in the dependent visa application to Canada, whereas parents and grandparents must be sponsored by permanent residents or Canadian citizens.
The sponsors must promise to support and accompany the family member or relative for a period of 3 to 10 years to ensure that they are well-settled in Canada.
Family members eligible under Canada’s Dependent Work Permit are:
- Spouse, spousal or common-law partners over the age of 16
- Both parents and grandparents
- Dependent children, including adopted children
- Children under 18 whom you’d like to adopt
- Siblings, nephews and nieces, children under 18, orphans and unmarried
- Other relatives who reside in or outside Canada
Children are dependent on the following criteria:
- Children younger than 22, unmarried or without a common-law partner
- Children who have become a spouse / common-law partner before they reach the age of 22 and are highly dependent on parents for financial assistance
- Children who are financially dependent on parents until they reach age 22 due to a certain physical impairment
DEPENDENT VISA APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
You will need to include the following to sponsor your family members for Dependent Visa for Canada
- Recorded evidence of your financial condition and cash flow over the past 12 months to prove you are financially stable and capable to support your family.
- If you are sponsoring a Canadian Dependent Visa for your child then he or she,
- Must be younger than 22 years
- Should be able to show that they rely on you financially
- If your child is unable to earn his or her own money for some reason, either physically or mentally, then you can sponsor him after giving enough proof of the same
- The child should be either your biological or adopted child
- To prove your relationship, you will need to provide a birth certificate or adoption certificate
- The child will need to undergo a medical and criminal test and may be prevented from entering the country if a criminal record or medical condition that is likely to be contagious or cause an epidemic has been found to be present.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR DEPENDENTS
- Passport & travel history
- Background documentation
- Spouse/partner documentation including marriage certificate
- Other proof of relationship
- Completed application & consulate fees
Is IELTS required for Canada Work Visa?
IELTS is mandatory for anyone if they are applying for Canada PR Visa. Your IELTS score will have a good influence on your CRS score in Express Entry. Thus, it is not possible to get the Canada Work Visa without passing in the IELTS test with the required bands.
What are the documents required for Canada Work Visa?
What are the documents required for Canada Work Visa?
An overseas worker applying for Canada Work Visa must collate all the required documents from the employer. They will also need the below forms and documents:
- A valid Passport or Travel document
- 2 photos along with photos of family members who are accompanying
- Proof that you fulfil the requirements of the prospective job in Canada
- Evidence of available funds
- If required, Certificat D’Acceptation du Quebec
- Evidence of relationships with Common-law partner, Spouse, and Children
- Completed application form IMM 1295 for Work Visa applied outside Canada
- Completed form IMM 5488 Document Checklist
- Completed form IMM 5645 Family Information
- Completed form Schedule One –TRV/ Temporary Resident Visa Application
- Completed form IMM 5409 Legal Statement of Common-law Union
- Completed form IMM 5476 for Use of a Representative *
* Note: You must complete this form only if a Representative will conduct business on your behalf. It must also be completed by all dependent children above 18 years who will be using a Representative.
How can I get Open Work Permit in Canada?
Canada Open Work Permit is offered to an overseas national only through one of the LMIA – Labour Market Impact Assessment exemptions. They can apply for the Open Work Permit at a port of entry outside Canada. The application can also be submitted after arrival to Canada according to the requirements of the program.
In most of the cases, the Open Work Permit fee has to be paid along with the Work Permit fee.
There are three categories of open work permits:
- Unrestricted open work permit
- Occupation restricted open work permit
- Restricted work permit
The unrestricted open work permit allows a foreigner to travel to Canada and work there on any job for any employer and at any place. In the occupation restricted open work permit the person can work for any employer but only in a specified job. With a restricted work permit, the individual can change the employer but not the place of work.
How can I get Work Permit for Canada from India?
Canada Work Visa is offered to an overseas national who intends to work in Canada. They must not be a Canada PR Visa holder or Citizen. This is mandatory for working in Canada irrespective of the employer living in Canada or not.
Canada Work Permit application from India requires verification from the labour market in Canada. It is known as the LMO – Labour Market Opinion. The application for Work Visa can be submitted only after getting positive LMO.
The Canada Work Visa process involves 2 stages. In the first stage, the employer in Canada must get approval from the Government of Canada to hire overseas workers. In the second step, the designated employee must apply for obtaining the Work Visa after getting permission.
How is the Work Permit application processed?
- The application is checked to ensure it has all the necessary documents. Incomplete applications are sent back.
- You may need to undergo a medical exam which can add up to three months to the processing time.
- The processing time can vary based on the country
- You might also need to give your biometrics with the application
- An officer will check the credentials of the employer who has hired you
- An officer will check if you qualify for a work permit
- After approval of your application you will get a letter giving you permission to work in Canada
- You must take this letter when you leave for Canada
- You will get your Work Permit on arrival in Canada
- It will have details of the type of work you will do, mention the employer and the place and duration of your work
Can the spouse or common law partner and the dependent of a work permit holder work in Canada?
Yes, in most cases, they can work in Canada. They will need a work permit to work in the country. However, they must individually apply for the work permit. In some cases, they can also apply for an open work permit which allows them to apply for any job with any employer. The employer must get an LMIA to employ the person. The spouse dependent work permit will be processed in 1 to 3 months.
What are the benefits of having a spouse dependent visa?
- Your spouse can work full time in Canada.
- Your spouse will not be required to clear the IELTS
- Your spouse can start working as soon as they arrive in Canada
- There is no minimum work experience required to file for a spouse dependent work permit
- Your spouse can stay with you as long as your visa is valid
When can one apply for a spouse dependent work permit?
You can apply for spouse dependent work permit as soon as you get your study/work permit in Canada. You will get them approximately around 15 days from arrival.
What is an open work permit?
The visa is not job-specific, so applicants are required to meet similar requirements as applicants for other types of job visas. These include not needing the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or an offer letter from an employer who has paid the compliance fee. However not everyone is eligible for the open work permit visa.
Who is eligible for the open-work permit?
Individuals including foreigners who need a job to support themselves
- Applicants for PR visa
- Dependent family members of these applicants
- Spouses of skilled worker residents
- Spouses of foreign students
- Foreign nationals currently in Canada whose work permit will soon expire and have applied for permanent residence
- Refugees, protected persons, and their relatives
- Participants in working holiday programs
- International students who completed their post- secondary education in Canada
What happens after my Canada work permit application is approved?
Once your work permit application is approved, you can travel to Canada with the PoE Letter of Introduction.
You will get your work permit in Canada at the PoE the day that you arrive in the country.
You get an approval letter – known as the Port of Entry (PoE) Letter of Introduction – stating that you are allowed to work in Canada.
When do I get my Canada work permit?
A Canadian work permit will specifically mention –
· The employer that you are allowed to work for,
· The employer that you can work for,
· How long can you work for, and
· Where can you work in the country.
What all is given in a Canada work permit?
A 9-digit Social Insurance Number (SIN) will be required for working in Canada and for accessing government benefits and programs.
You should be applying for a SIN – at the nearest Service Canada office – as soon as possible after arriving in Canada.
I have my Canada work permit. Do I need anything else to work in Canada?
A common-law partner or spouse that intends working in Canada will have to apply for their own Canadian work permit. Usually, the spouse or partner will have to meet the same rules and requirements as the work permit holder.
The spouse or partner might be able to apply for an open work permit for Canad
Can my spouse work on my Canada work permit?
Dependent children of the Canada work permit holder might apply to come with the individual to Canada. If they wish, such dependent children might apply for a study permit of Canada or a Canadian work permit
Can my children study or work in Canada? I have a Canada work permit.
The Canada work permit is to be printed after the border services officer has checked the documentation, confirming that you can enter Canada.
In case of any mistake on the printed work permit, ask the border services office concerned.
What do I do if my Canada work permit has a mistake?
Can I stay in Canada permanently?
To be able to stay on in Canada on a permanent basis after entering the country on a Canada work permit, the individual must qualify under any of the permanent resident categories available.
For example, the Express Entry system, Canadian PNP, Agri-Food Pilot, Atlantic Immigration Pilot etc.