Business Loans



So many people have been on my DM concerning UK Dependency, I think we can talk about it now.
I will try as much as possible to convey my words, but if not cleared, then you can ask on the comment section.
In order not to make it too long and then bored, I will divide it into three.
1: Background of it.
2: Financial of it and
3: Documents needed.


I will write as I remember and not in any order.
1. Dependency is coming to the UK leaning on somebody, maybe a student or a worker and not just anybody.
2. Who could be your dependent?
i. A husband, wife or civil partner.
ii. An unmarried partner if you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for a period of at least 2 years.
Meaning your boy/girlfriend can come if you proove it.
iii. Your child under 18 years old.
3. If your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner is applying as your dependant the relationship must be genuine at the time of application and you must intend to live together throughout your stay in the UK.
For children to be eligible for a dependant visa, it is a requirement that both parents need to be in the UK or coming to the UK.
There are few exceptions to this requirement. Families who cannot meet this requirement will need to show reasons why the child or children should move with one of the parent.
Meaning the other partner staying back will give his or her consent for the child to leave with the father or mother.
If you are a single mother/ father or separated partner, get a lawyer and get a legal advice.
4. The main applicant’s course if a student must be full-time, at postgraduate level and at least 9 months long or
you are a government sponsored student on a full-time course that is 6 months or longer. This means you are being financially sponsored for your studies by the UK government or an overseas government.
5. First degree is not eligible to bring dependent. Survive first before looking for dependent? ?
6. The dependent(s) can appply with the main applicant or decide to apply later when the main applicant had already left.
7. If the main applicant is a student, he or she is only permitted by law to work 20 hours a week while the dependent can work limitless. (Partner and not the children)
8. A dependant is able to work in the UK except:
i. They cannot work as a professional sportsperson, which includes a sports coach.
ii. They cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training if granted the dependant permission prior to 5 October 2020 (unless they have a degree in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution or have previously been granted a UK visa that did not restrict their employment as a doctor or dentist in training and were employed as such during that period).
9. Do know, any baby you make, you will be at home for years taking care of them unless you can afford a child care support.
10. Lastly, your two wives and 72 children can come with you if you can afford and prove it.

General Financial Aspect 

I have made a post on General Financial aspect of coming to the UK as an International student. The main applicant is expected to have £1023 for a month multiplied by 9 months which is £9207.
A dependent should have £680×9 months which is £6120.
£6120 for every dependent you have.
I will work with the wife being the main applicant. Then the husband and 2 children being the dependents. Which is family of 4.
Wife: £5000 of remaining tuition fee + £9207 of living expenses. =£14,207
Note, you will calculate with the CBN rate or a little more higher to be on the safer side.
I will use the rate of N556× £14,207= N7,899,092 (that’s for the wife who’s the main applicant)
Husband and two children. (3 dependents)
£6120×3 persons = £18360×N556= N10,208,160.
Wife + dependents =Total.
That’s what you should have in your bank as a family.
Note the following.
1. It will be higher if your remianing tuition fee is greater than £5000 I used, and it will be lower if yours is below.
2. As at when I did this post 09:52am 8/2/22, official CNB rate is £1 for N548 approximately but I used N556. Your total can be lower if you use the N548 and you could be unfortunate to meet it when it’s high. So to be on the safer side, use a higher amount to calculate.
3. This amount should be in your account at least minimum of 28 days.
4. As dependent you pay £457 each as visa fee.
5. IHS. Go to Uk IHS site and put in your details of course and how many you are, you will get the total, then you multiply by N755 (black market)
Note: £704 for main applicant and each dependent for one year course.
6. Now flight, go to flight agency sites or offices and book for family of 4. The earlier the better and stop overs are cheaper too.
7. Accommodation.
You could get two bedroom apartment maybe from £900-£1000 and above for a month. All depends on your taste and location.

Documentional Aspect of coming with Dependents

The following documents also need to be provided in support of a dependant application:
1. Passport.
2. Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you have one for your current visa.
3. Police registration certificate if required.
4. Evidence of relationship to main applicant if the dependant partner or child has not previously been granted permission as a dependant of the student:
5. If you are married or in a civil partnership, you would provide the marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate.
6. If your last grant of leave was not as a dependant, you will need to demonstrate your relationship is genuine and subsisting. The Home Office advises providing official documents as evidence you have been living together.
7. If you are not married, you will need to provide evidence that you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage for at least two years.
Documents will only be considered where they are from official sources. They will need to cover the minimum two year period in full.
Documents you may use to evidence this could include the following.
i. Bank statements,
ii. Utility bills,
iii. Tenancy agreements or official correspondance or documents that link the student and the partner and show they have been living at the same address.
iv. For dependant children, a birth certificate, or equivalent official government-issued documentation, should be used to demonstrate the relationship.
v. For children over 16 years old when they apply, documentation confirming their residential address from two separate sources will need to be provided to prove they are not leading an independent life.
1. Any documents not in English must be accompanied by official certified translations.
2. Apart from your spouse, partner or children. Your shadow can’t be your dependent.
3. You can invite someone over on standard visiting visa route but that will be a topic for another day.
READ ALSO  Federal or Private Student Loan? - Which Should You Choose?

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.